Sunday, July 24, 2011

Post-Op Day 5/ Random thoughts

Yesterday was a pretty good day all together. I woke up in lots of pain around 5 something when Eric left for work. So I hobbled downstairs and ate something so I could take my pain pills. I hate taking those things because they make me loopy and then make me feel like I have to sleep for hours. But it's definitely worth it not being in pain. I was so hesitant to start taking them because the first couple of days I didn't need any, just the Aleve/ibuprofen. But I am pretty sure this is because I wasn't doing any sort of movement at all...I was hardly walking around, and barely did any activity. Now that I am trying to do more normal activities and am really trying to push myself with my physical therapy, my knees hurt more. They hurt the most after being on my feet for about 30 minutes (I have been trying to make dinner,clean the kitchen etc), if I accidentally twist too fast, bending (Eric did some squats in front of my yesterday and it literally made me nauseated thinking about doing one myself), doing my physical therapy, and going up/ down the stairs...ohhh those stupid stairs we have. 

Anyways, after I slept for a while yesterday morning, my pain was pretty tolerable so i decided to make some cookies! They are my mom's homemade oatmeal cookies and I looooovvvvee them! i was pretty proud of myself for not eating any of them right out of the oven or just sitting in front of the TV eating the dough! I did eat 2 after dinner last night though :) After hanging around the house for a while after that, Eric was able to come home from the hospital (he's on call this weekend). I was dying to get out of the house and read my new book, The Help, and Eric had to read a bunch of journals so we went to Starbucks and hung out there for a few hours. It felt SO good to get out of the house. I showered, put on makeup and real clothes instead of lazy clothes, and even blow-dried and straightened my hair. This was a LOT of standing up without a break so my knees were pretty sore. But we sat down for the next few hours at Starbucks so they were okay. I am so done being lazy and not being able to work and hang out with people.  I am ready to be back to normal! I know it will happen sooner or later. I can't wait to read more of my book today. I am only about 1/4 of the way through and I love it already. You should all read it. I need to finish it soon because I have another book I am dying to read as well :) 

When we were at Starbucks, Eric told me that he decided he is pretty sure he wants to specialize in urologic oncology. Before now he was trying to decide between that and female, but now he is pretty sure he wants to do oncology. This means he will have to do a 1-2 year fellowship after we are finished here at Mayo. Who knows, maybe fellowship will be at Mayo Rochester? :) This also means life will be a little more difficult when Eric is working on his own as an attending.  This is because with oncology, there are many more sick patients in the hospital than with general urologic surgery, and they stay there longer for obvious reasons. They are actually sick, where most urology patients in the hospital are just there for a few days recovering from a surgery. This means more rounding at the hospital, and patients just requiring more time. I am happy with his decision, because I believe if he is happy and has job satisfaction, he will be happy when he is at home with me and our future kids. I just want him to be happy with what he is doing and I could never be so selfish to suggest he do something he isn't truly happy doing just so I would have him around a little more. 

We were also talking about how lucky we are to be in both of our jobs right now. We were talking about how we can both say with 100% honesty that we love our jobs. Of course if we could have it any way we wanted, we would have these jobs and everyone we knew here with us because we miss everyone from home SO MUCH. But not many people get to say they love their jobs and for that we are very grateful. I really do find myself stopping randomly throughout the day and thanking God for the situation we are in right now. I am also so grateful for Eric's chief Urology residents, Nick and Leah. They are SO nice to him, to me, and they give Eric tons of learning opportunities. Leah will do a fellowship after this year and then come back to Mayo as an attending, which will be Eric's chief year! 

This is random, but I have decided to learn how to build. I have been looking for a console table for a long time to go on the back wall in our living room. I can't really find any I like and if I do, they are about $1,000 or more. I found a site with step by step instructions on how to build one and i am going to try it. It doesn't sounds too hard...it's all straight cuts and everything, and the website said the hardware store usually will cut your lumber in the lengths you need it free of charge. This way I cant paint or stain it exactly how I want it. Plus the challenge of building something and then being able to look at it and know I did it all by myself sounds super awesome :) HERE is the website. It has all sorts of things to build. Lots of them are copies of things you can find at expensive stores. The console table I am making is a copy from one that is i think $1,200 at Pottery Barn! I probably wont start this for a while considering it will involve lots of bending, but as soon as my knees are ready, I'll be at Home Depot buying my materials!

Well, that's all for now. Sorry for another long-winded post but that's what you get when I can't really do much else :) Hope you are all having a nice weekend!

Love,
Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment