Thursday, August 19, 2010

501 ICU: I miss you!

So I only have one more day of orientation at my new job in the neuro ICU.  This 5 week orientation was a little shorter than I expected, so I'm a little nervous.  I'm confident in my ability to take care of the patients (which of course is the most important thing), but there is so much I don't know yet about how this new hospital is run.  Some of these things:

1. I don't know the doctors and they don't know me that well yet. 
2. I don't even know what all of the different floors on the hospital are yet.
3. I have ZERO phone numbers memorized (pharmacy, lab, dietary, blood bank etc).
4. 100% computer charting takes a little bit (more than 5 weeks) of getting used to.
5. Thank goodness for transporters because if not for them, every time one of my patients goes to CT, MRI, IR etc., I would get lost.
6. Every time I need a supply I spend at least 5 minutes staring at the supply cart trying to find the needed item before I finally give up and ask someone where it is.

These are just a few out of many things and I know they seem minor but piled up on top of each other they can make for a pretty long, hectic, run-around-like-a-chicken-with-my-head-cut-off day.

As I come to the end of my orientation, I can't help but to reminisce about my orientation at Baptist Medical center in OKC, OK as a brand new nurse. Here are some things I miss tons about working at Baptist/501 ICU:


1. LaRhonda Ricahrdson aka Best Preceptor Ever.  Seriously. I think I probably asked her at least 20 questions per night and she never got frustrated or annoyed with any of them, no matter what.  She gave me the right amount of freedom without ever leaving me feeling overwhelmed.  She seemed to know when I needed help and was right there to help me figure things out.  She is a great role model outside of being a nurse too.  I miss you LaRhonda! Thank you for being such a great teacher and friend.

2. The dolphins.  Never thought I would say it... but we don't have them here and I am constantly paranoid I am going to make a med error and am checking patients' MARs 3 or 4 times before I give each med.

3. X=__   Y=__  N=__.  We use sliding scale for insulin here and it just doesn't work as well.

4. The awesome aides.  I will always appreciate how much you always did for me!

5. The calmer environment of night shift.  Granted, nights got crazy pretty often, but there are just so many little things that have to get done on days. Also, everyone just seems more stressed out on day shift, which stresses me out even if there is no reason for me to be stressed out for the time being.

6. Working in the same hospital as some of the people I went to nursing school with, and seeing them randomly during the shift.  

7. Every single nurse I worked with. I won't name you all, but just know that each of you helped me out so many times and I will never forget about you guys.  I had a great first year of nursing and I am positive it is because you were my co-workers. I will always think of the 501 group as my family and I miss working with you all so much!

Here are some of the awesome people of 501 that I miss so much!










Can't wait to visit you all!

Love,
Megan


No comments:

Post a Comment