Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Fear Not.

There have been a lot of things I have been scared/nervous/anxious about lately...living in a brand new city, a new job, and all of the new experiences that come along with those. I have been so focused on this anxious feeling the past few weeks that I didn't realize until the other day the ways God has been trying to tell me not to fear and to trust in Him. A couple weeks ago, Eric and I watched the movie The Book of Eli. Loved this movie. The main character is on a journey God told him to go on and despite fear he trusts in the Lord and completes this extremely important journey.  In the movie Eli recites Psalm 23.  After the movie, Eric and I got out our Bible and read Psalm 23 over and over.  At church on Sunday, we sang Matt Redman's song, You Never Let Go, and then the service was about fear.  It talked about how God will not prevent us from being in situations where we feel scared or have doubts, but if we trust in Him, He we be there in those situations to get us through them.  Monday was my first day at work where I was off orientation and I was scared to death, so Sunday night before bed, Eric and I recited Psalm 23 several times.  Then on the way to work and on the way home from work, I heard Matt Redman's song, You Never Let Go again.  God has definitely been proving to me a lot lately that He will never not be there if I keep trusting that He is guiding me down the path He has planned for me, and it is so comforting knowing that.  Whenever you get scared about something, go to Psalm 23 and I'm pretty sure it will make you feel better. How could it not?  

Psalm 23

THE Lord is my shepherd,
I shall not want.
He makes me lie down in
green pastures;
He leads me beside 
quiet waters.
He restores my soul;
He guides me in the
paths of righteousness
For His name's sake.
Even though i walk 
through the valley of
the shadow of death,
I fear no evil; for Thou
art with me;
Thy rod and Thy staff,
they comfort me.
Thou dost prepare a 
table before me in the
presence of my enemies;
Thou hast anointed my
head with oil;
My cup overflows.
Surely goodness and 
lovingkindness will follow me
all the days of my life, 
And I will dwell in the 
house of the Lord forever.

Doesn't this just give you the courage to stand up and face what you are afraid of because you know God is standing right there beside you? So powerful.  Here is Matt Redman's song You Never Let Go:


2 comments:

  1. Great post Megan. I have been readying your blog. :) Such a wonderful passage!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Megan. It is always great to hear when God is speaking - and He so often confirms it over and over again in various ways. I am glad it has given you courage. What a blessing that you and Eric can read this Psalm together. When he was in school in SA we used to recite Psalm 91 in the car on the way to school and I believe God protected us from harm with His promises in that Psalm. His word is so full of what we need! Love you!

    ReplyDelete