Thursday, October 7, 2010

Yummy and Low Fat Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes!

So a while ago my good friend Carissa told me about using a can of pumpkin in cake mix instead of all of the "wet" ingredients like oil and eggs etc.  On Tuesday it was more like an Oklahoma day here in Phoenix...rain, thunder, even hail...all day long.  It was perfect.  I had the AC off all day long and just enjoyed the cool air.  Then I started craving something sweet and fall-like. I started looking up recipes and found tons for pumpkin muffins and cupcakes...but they were all so fattening and I didn't really want to completely ruin my awesome swim workout from earlier that day.  So I remembered the can of pumpkin tip and decided to give it a try.  Most recipes tell you to use the pumpkin in chocolate cake mix, but I wanted to actually taste the pumpkin and I couldn't find a specific recipe I wanted to try so I just whipped up something of my own and they turned out fantastic! This seriously shocked me since I am NOT good at just making things up...I follow recipes extremely strictly! I wish I had taken more pictures but I didn't think they would turn out this good...They are super easy and super cheap to make and you don't have to feel guilty about eating them! 

Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes
1 box spice cake mix, any brand
1 15 oz can pure pumpkin
1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice

Mix all ingredients together (mixture will be way thicker than regular cupcake batter). Fill a muffin pan with some cute cupcake wrappers and fill 2/3 of the way with the batter. Bake at 350 degrees for the time it says on the cake box.

While you're waiting for those to bake...

Yummy (and not that bad for you) Cream Cheese Icing
1 8 oz package reduced fat cream cheese
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup powdered sugar (yes this is a ton of powdered sugar...you could definitely cut this recipe in half if you are like Eric and me and don't like tons of icing on your cupcakes)

Make sure and let your cupcakes cool all the way on a cooling rack before icing them.

Yummy!

The icing!

Cupcakes + icing!
I also sprinkled a little cinnamon on top of the icing for a little something extra.

Yes I did eat two of them in a row after they were done...


and yes I did keep the extra icing in the fridge and may have been eating it over the past two days by itself.


Eric was on call this night so out of fear I might eat ALL of these by myself, I took them up to the hospital for Eric and the other residents to munch on. When Eric brought the container home they were all gone! He said they were a hit. I'll definitely be making these again.

Happy fall baking!

Love,
Mrs. Wise


No comments:

Post a Comment