Monday, September 13, 2010

Not Your Ordinary "Date Night"

Here it is...Eric's home away from home...and the site of some unusual date nights:
Mayo Clinic Hospital.


So, every time Eric is on call, I bring him dinner (either Chick Fila or In 'n Out) and we eat it in the residents' room in the hospital.  Sometimes I get to spend an hour with him, other times it's more like a 'we-have-to-eat-this-as-fast-as-we-can-because-I-have-a-consult-waiting-in-the-ER' kind of date.  Last night I called him when I arrived with dinner like I always do, ready for him to meet me in the lobby of the hospital like he always does...but he had a very sick patient so I had to wait.  After about 30 minutes of waiting in the lobby looking at old issues of 'People' Magazine, Eric comes down to the lobby and says the patient isn't doing well and there is no way he will have time to eat with me :(...so, we visit for 2 seconds then I go home, and he goes to take care of his patient.  I think this would have made a lot of spouses angry if it happened to them...angry that they waited only to not even be able to spend any time with their husband/wife.  But it didn't make me upset, and I think  owe that to being in the medical field too...in the ICU...and working nights before.  I have experienced patients crashing with no warning (and it's usually at night), and I know the urgency of situations like that because I have been involved in so many of them. I know Eric wishes he could have had dinner with me instead.  I still love this little tradition we have started and I know it will be fun to look back on. I am just so thankful I am in the medical field too; I think it would be so much harder understanding Eric's job if I weren't.

Now off to enjoy a few post-call minutes with my husband before he gets some much needed rest!

Love,
Mrs. Wise



No comments:

Post a Comment